How can we improve Divinity: Original Sin 2?

Regarding the Memory attribute and it's shortcomings

As the title says, my comment is directed towards the Memory attribute. Speaking in my name, it seems very limiting when it comes to gameplay. Don't know if leveling up happens more frequent compared to the last game to compensate for this inconvinience, but it's still a problem as I see it. I know that the game is probably tailored with it in mind, but hear me out.

The entire combat system is about finding multiple different combinations of abilities that are better suited for a certain encounter. I fear that limiting the number of abilities you can use by the use of a single stat that doesn't do anything new expect for unlocking an extra memory slot if you put enough points in it will lead to repetiveness and the use of the exact same combos and abilities. People are not incentivised to put points in Memory unless they reach the limit and they had learned a brand new ability that they want to use together with the ones they already have.

My suggestions are as they fallow:

1) Scrap the Memory attribute and passively increse the number of Memory Slots a character has as they level up

2) Scrap the Memory attribute and tie the unlocking of new Memory Slots with the increasing of the other attributes. If you want to go futher, you can create a discrepancy regarding the efficiency of said attribute of unlocking new Memory Slots. For example, investing the same amount of points in Intelligence will give you more memory slots than investing the same amount of points in Strength. This will lead to mage like builds having more abilities at their disposal, but they’ll be more fragile because they’ll invest lesser points in attributes like Strength or Constitution. Because of this more meele focused builds will be more sturdy but have lesser abilities.
I think the best approach to this would be to make attributes that are correlated to mages to be the most efficient in giving Memory Slots, the attributes related more to rogues and agile character to be the middle ground while attributes who are usually correlated to warriors to be the less efficient when it comes to unlocking Memory Slots.

3) Scrap the Memory attribute and correlate Memory Slots to Combat Abilities so that everytime someone invests points in Combats Abilities that fall under the Weapons, Defence and Skills they’ll get an increase in Memory Slots.

You could go further by making the Skills category a little more special. The initial point investments would give more towards getting more Memory Slots, while at higher levels, characters will get more diminished returns when it comes to Memory Slots.

This would make hybrid builds more viable. For example a battlemage build would mean that people will invest points in more Skills (for example Aerotheuge, Geomancer, Pytokinetic and Warfare ) and they will get more Memory Slots and thus they’ll be able to use more spells/abilities, but they’ll have access to less powerful ones. On the other hand, a more specialized build who invested points in only a few skills will have fewer Memory Slots, but they’ll have access to more powerful spells/abilities
This difference would be somewhat balanced by the Combat Abilities that fall under Weapons and Defence which would give a more balanced increase in Memory Slots.

Thank you for reading!

2 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)